As a retiree from the for-profit world, Steven has held the CPA designation (1976), the CFP designation (2002), and many security licenses. He graduated from the University of Maryland in 1975 in accounting. He also has a master’s in accounting from the Smith School of Business at University of Maryland.
In 1987, he became an equity owner in H. Beck, a securities broker-dealer and registered investment adviser. With four other shareholders, H. Beck grew into a national entity that was sold to a mutually owned insurance company in 2008. At H. Beck, Steven served as President, CFO, Head of Due Diligence, and Head of Recruiting.
In 2010, Steven became a minority partner in Patuxent Financial Partners, a firm controlled by his son, Matthew Porter, JD, CFP. In 2017, Patuxent Financial Partners became a fee-only, registered investment advisor. Steven retired and sold his interest back to Matt.
Steven and Susan Porter are co-founders of OhanaHC. The organization is modeled on the work of Thread in Baltimore, helping academically struggling, underserved high school children in Howard County.
- Community Foundation of Howard County Board of Directors, Member
- Community Foundation of Howard County Executive Committee, Member
- Leadership Howard County Premier Community Impacts Projects Committee, Co-Chair
- Leadership Howard County Premier Steering Committee, Co-Chair
- Bright Minds Foundation Board of Directors, Member
- Leadership Howard County Premier Graduate, 2011